Monday, January 12, 2009

ABC's, 123's and Do Re Mi's

"Lets start at the very beginning...."

My title to the blog is kind of how I feel about learning to eat right now. Back to the basics and starting anew. Just like "Do Re Mi" from my favorite musical and movie of all time, The Sound of Music.

I hope those participating in the challenge are enjoying the savory taste of the delicious foods we can add back into our diet. I know I am! The one item I have not gone back to is diet Pepsi! I am so proud of this, you don't even understand! It is not that I will never have it again, but one of my goals is at the end of the 5 weeks to limit myself to 1 caffeinated beverage a day (forever), so if I start on DP again this battle would be over! I can't say I won't fall off the wagon, but for now, I need to pat myself on the back! Still no alcohol or sweets, either! Not any huge temptations, except a craving of chocolate here and there. I wonder if the fiber one bars or granola bars are o.k. to eat? I need to look at the ingredients. I used to eat those at breakfast or to satisfy the sweet tooth (obviously there were chocolate morsels in there!)

So with the positive, there is some negative. I think I am overdoing the hummus - I have fallen in love with it all over again, but seem to be eating it with everything! Then I took a look at the fat and realized, maybe not such a good idea. Also, for some reason I thought if I had a Lean Cuisine that said no additives or preservatives that it was not processed! So, two whole grain pasta and veggies in peanut sauce lean cuisines later, I learned...........If someone wants to tell me its OK to have them, please do b/c they are delicious and convenient..........and I am all about convenience!

Speaking of convenience.........I am getting a phone call from Martha herself tomorrow!!! She is going to give me a delicious recipe that I can make on Sunday and eat through the week! The show will air THIS Friday, January 16th so please tune in! I can't wait to hear what the recipe is! Set your DVR's, TIVOS, VCR's............I know in Cleveland her show airs at 10am.

So, I am quite excited about the dinner I made tonight! My first time ever using a WOK, I made a chicken stir fry! It was so delicious! The real taste tester (my husband) will be home late from work so I will know for sure if this is true! The point is, I tried, right?!?! I cut up fresh red and green bell peppers and celery, added water chestnuts and pineapple. After I cooked that up in some soy sauce (1tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil) and put that to the side and added the chicken with one more tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. I cooked that up with a little soy and then put the veggies and whole grain noodles (cooked prior to) in with the chicken and added some sesame ginger marinade I had in the refrigerator.

For being completely stressed out on what I could make for dinner that was different, I am glad I figured something out! Well, my youngest just threw a play sword at me.......I better get going and get them both to baths and bed!

Learning to eat right,

Maria

6 comments:

dcoco said...

Hi Maria,

It's Donna from Body+Soul. Sounds like you're doing wonderfully--congratulations! I couldn't resist your Lean Cuisine question. Honestly, before I learned about healthy eating, I pretty much lived on these things. Some of the ingredients--chicken, veggies, etc.--are fine. It's all the other unnecessary ingredients that make these not a great choice. Just think about what you put into your chicken stir fry, and then take a look at the ingredients list below (which I pasted from the Lean Cuisine chicken teriyaki box on its web site). Lots of preservatives that your body doesn't know what to do with. I bet your version tastes just as great if not better. So try to stick with making your own as much as you can (I know life with kids can be challenging--have a 3 year old myself).

btw, if you're looking for a good treat, try a few squares of dark chocolate (70% cacoa). There are some nice health benefits to dark chocolate, and its rich flavor typically means you're satisfied with a less. Keep up the good work!--Donna Coco, articles editor, Body+Soul

Lean Cuisine chicken teriyaki: Blanched enriched long grain rice (rice, ferric phosphate, niacin, thiamin mononitrate and folic acid), water, cooked white meat chicken (white meat chicken, water, modified tapioca starch, chicken flavor (dried chicken broth, chicken powder, natural flavor), carrageenan, whey protein concentrate (made from milk), soybean oil, corn syrup solids, sodium phosphate, salt), snap peas, carrots, red peppers, soy sauce (water, wheat, soybeans, salt), sugar, modified cornstarch, pineapple juice concentrate, brown sugar syrup, sherry wine, balsamic vinegar (grapes, invert sugar), ginger puree (ginger, water, citric acid), sesame oil, potassium chloride, garlic puree, salt, caramel color, yeast extract, lime juice concentrate, lactic acid, calcium lactate.

Maria said...

Hi Donna-
Thank you so much for the information! I guess when it says no preservatives on the front of the box, we should not really believe that? I appreciate your helpfulness!
Maria

balletshoes14 said...

Hi Maria!
I think you are a fan of musicals! In the past two posts you have referred to the music in your life. I do the same thing :) Anyways, just wanted to comment on that. It looks like you are doing well! I have continued to eat the bean, rice, veggies combo this week for lunch because it is convienient and cheap!! Good luck with week 2!

Maria said...

hi balletshoes14!
i am a bit in love with musicals! i go with my mom to our broadway series in cleveland every year. someday i WILL get to Broadway to see Wicked and which ever other shows i can get my hands on!
I am glad you are still doing the rice, beans and veggies. It is cheap and convenient!
Thanks for reading!
Maria

Tamara1227 said...

Hi,
Just wanted to drop a quick note. I feel hungrier this week more than I felt last week while on the restricted diet. I am glad I have willpower or all would have been lost.
byw, I saw Wicked in Cleveland last February! It was amazing!!
tami

Maria said...

hi tamara!
i feel hungrier this week also, but i feel like i am eating way more....if that makes sense! we can do it! each time you see a temptation, just remind yourself of your goals.
i also saw wicked here in cleveland - it is such an amazing show! thanks for writing!
maria